One Pan Mexican Rice – JSHealth
One pan, minimal prep and a whole lot of flavour! This is a budget-friendly vegetarian meal that is sure to be loved by the whole household.
For the cheese fans out there, add some grated on top when the rice is hot for a dose of melted goodness. Plant-based? Omit the sour cream or replace it with a vegan alternative. Of course, feel free to load on the vegan cheese or nutritional yeast too.
· 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· ½ red onion, finely diced
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 capsicum, sliced
· 1 400g (14.1oz) tin black beans, rinsed
· 1 cup frozen corn kernels
· 1 tbsp sweet paprika
· 2 tsp ground cumin
· 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
· 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
· 1 400g (14.1oz) tin tomatoes
· ½ cup sour cream, or plant-based alternative
· 1 avocado, cubed
· ¼ cup sliced jalapenos, or chilli flakes
· ¼ bunch coriander, leaves picked
· Cheese of choice – either dairy or plant-based alternative, grated or shredded (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the red onion and garlic to pan. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper and sauté for 4 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
Add the capsicum, black beans, frozen corn, sweet paprika and cumin to the pan. Sauté for 3 minutes or until the spices are fragrant. Add the rice, vegetable stock and tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Turn the heat off and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Don’t remove the lid. Allowing the rice to rest will ensure the rice is properly cooked.
Remove the lid and fluff the rice. Add cheese if using. Top with sour cream, avocado, jalapenos and coriander.